Family is one of the most important things that we have in this life. Sadly, relationships and marriages don’t always survive the test of time. From divorce and custody battles to guardianship issues and adoption, families face many unforeseeable challenges along the way. When you are trying to navigate a legal matter that involves the people you love the most, it’s important to have an attorney that can best serve your unique family’s needs. We’ve put together a list of what to look for when choosing a family lawyer:
- Positive Reviews from the Past. If your lawyer is good at what they do, they will have some social proof of it. Thanks to the internet, it’s now simple to find unbiased reviews that are written by real past clients. Before choosing an attorney, look over the things that their previous clients say about their services and find the consistent notes that are mentioned about the clients’ experiences.
- Difficult emotions to get through. A good lawyer will care about you and your specific case, doing what is necessary to get you the best outcome for you while supporting your emotional needs. They won’t always tell you what you want to hear, but they will show that they are genuinely concerned about your situation through their stellar service.
- Flexible Schedule Options. Family matters don’t always happen during business hours; however, many lawyers act as if they should. Rather than going for a lawyer that works a traditional schedule, look for an attorney that has a flexible schedule and is available to talk around the clock. This will greatly matter when you have an unforeseeable turn of events or dispute that happens outside of business hours, and you end up needing to anxiously wait until the next business day to get answers for something needing to be resolved now.
- Experience and Expertise. Before hiring an attorney, it’s important to ensure that they know what they are doing. Learn if they are properly trained and certified to take on your case. Feel free to ask them questions about their background and consider how knowledgeable they seem with their answers. The attorney should also be well-known and respected by their peers, as this shows their commitment to their field of expertise, and in turn, their clients.
- Good Communication Skills. Many lawyers are so swamped with work that they don’t make communication a top priority. While this might be fine if you were trying to write a will for the distant future, it doesn’t work for when the custody of your precious children is at stake. Make sure that the lawyer you hire is open to communicate and will keep you in the loop about all legal proceedings regularly so that you are not left in the dark about life-altering decisions.
- A Strong Work Ethic. Working within the legal system is difficult and stressful. To get the best representation, you need a lawyer that is sincerely devoted to their job. Only choose one that is passionate about what they do and goes beyond the bare necessities with the service and support that he or she offers during your legal proceedings.
While these are just a few of the things to look for in a good family lawyer, they are the most important. Our law firm of Sadek and Cooper is proud to meet all the listed criteria and more.
Sadek and Cooper has over 4,000 satisfied clients with hundreds of five-star reviews, we are Super Lawyers listed and BBB A+ ranked, offer a free initial consultation with our expert lawyers, and answer our phones 24/7. We go the extra mile to help families get through their legal situations and move on to enjoy a less stressful tomorrow. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.
The attorneys at Sadek and Cooper Law Offices have handled hundreds of divorce, custody, support, and mediation cases in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties of Montgomery, Delaware, Bucks, and Chester. We are also licensed in the State of New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation at 215-545-0008.