Philadelphia: Your need to know list for filing for Divorce

Sadek & Cooper are here to walk you through the guidelines and procedures of divorce filing in Philadelphia.

Filing for divorce in Philadelphia may differ from various parts of the state or country. Sadek & Cooper are here to walk you through the guidelines and procedures of divorce filing in Philadelphia. Here’s what you need to know:

Can I file in Philadelphia?

Firstly, you may only file for divorce in Philadelphia as long as you have lived in Pennsylvania for the six months previous to your filing and one of you currently lives in Philadelphia. 

What type of divorce can I file?

To begin the process of divorce in Philadelphia County, you will need to make the decision of whether or not your divorce will be fault or no fault-based. No-fault is the most common alternative of the two because of its simplicity compared to a fault-based divorce. Additionally, a no-fault divorces grant the ability to proceed without having to physically appear in court considering both parties agree to the divorce or state that the marriage is irretrievable. 

Do I need to wait?

Through this process, there are certain requirements that must be met. You are required to allow 90 days to pass after a complaint is served. Or you must have been living separately and apart for at least one year in the case of a unilateral no-fault divorce.

Is that it?

Filing for divorce in Philadelphia involves many technicalities and a fair amount of paperwork. After filing the divorce complaint, you must wait for your spouse to respond and present their own claims, or object to your filing. The court needs to officially determine the grounds of your divorce before you can make any economic or custody claims. Once the court determines the grounds, claims are required to be documented through a discovery process wherein documents and pleadings are provided by each side.

What happens next?

Once this evidence is assembled, economic claims are heard out and pondered by a Permanent Master in a conference while the Master will make recommendations. If you are not in agreement with the Permanent Master’s recommendations, you have the right to appeal to a trial judge. 

Lastly, is finalizing and enforcing the divorce. From the moment that you have filed, there are decisions that need to be made regarding marital property, financial support for either spouse, as well as child support and custody. These challenging decisions are bound to be complex and emotionally draining so it is crucial to seek advice from experienced lawyers who will assist you in making the most beneficial decision for your future. Contact Sadek & Cooper for a free divorce consultation to ensure that you are taking the correct and appropriate steps.

The attorneys at Sadek and Cooper Law Offices have handled hundreds of divorce, custody, support, and mediation cases in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties of Montgomery, Delaware, Bucks, and Chester. We are also licensed in the State of New Jersey. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation at 215-545-0008.  

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Free Case Evaluation